Friday, October 23, 2015

Retired Scientists are Building a "Cloud Whitener" Machine

I was searching Newsela for weather articles that I could use in my classroom. Newsela is a free website that provides current news articles with guided reading questions. The best feature about this website is that teachers can change the Lexile score of the article to differentiate the reading material for their students. This particular article is about a group of retired scientists who are concerned about the effects of global warming. They are building a "cloud whitener" machine that may help cool down the planet by shooting tiny droplets of water in the sky to create fog. This fog would increase the brightness of the clouds, which would allow the sun's rays to reflect back into space. Some scientists are concerned about how this machine may alter weather patterns. If the machine does work, other scientists worry that people may not change their ways to decrease the effects of global warming. I plan to use this article with my students when we discuss the different types of clouds and collect cloud data for GLOBE.

https://newsela.com/articles/cloud-whitener/id/11271/

3 comments:

  1. Great resource, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is a really neat article. This could create a great classroom debate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like newsela, and use their articles from time to time. This is an interesting one, and I may have to look it up to add to my weather unit. Or it could fit into our new "human impact" standards.

    ReplyDelete