Friday, November 6, 2015

Storm of the Century (or at least my lifetime)

The first, and I believe biggest, snow storm I ever had to deal with was the blizzard of 1993. I was in 9th grade and we were out of school for several days. I remember having to go with my dad while it was still snowing to pick mom up from work. We slid all over the place, and later that night the governor actually closed all roads except to emergency vehicles. This was the first time I had ever heard that you could get a ticket for driving on the streets! I know we got well over a foot of snow, but don't remember just quite how much. I had to go outside and shovel a little area for my dog to go to the bathroom because it was up to my thighs! Hills Department store sold t-shirts that said "I survived the blizzard of 93." You can google '93 blizzard to see footage of this massive storm that affected over 25 states.

3 comments:

  1. I remember this because I was 10 and I lived in VA. We had a huge driveway and between my dad, my brother, and myself; it took all day to clear it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the storm I blogged about too. We weren't able to leave our house for a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really remember this one very well because I don't think I was in school yet. However, I have a ton of pictures of sledding and snowman-building festivities with my grandmother and cousins. They were visiting from Malaysia and I believe it was the first time they had every seen snow.

    ReplyDelete