Monday, November 9, 2015

The year we lost Kroger

The snowstorm I remember the most was the one we had in March of 1993. I lived in Beckley and we had a record snowfall of 30 inches. The roof of our Kroger caved! I learned how to play Spades and Rook. We finished a game of Monopoly.

What made this storm the "storm of the century"? "The Blizzard of '93 is a good example of a 'snowicane'," AccuWeather.com Expert Senior Meteorologist Alex Sosnowski added. "It was granddaddy of 'em all." There was an extrememly strong jet stream over the Gulf of Mexico. The polar, Pacific and subtropical jets combined forced to create 170 mph winds. The storm hit quickly and strongly.





Images from http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/blizzard-of-93-the-storm-of-th/62671

2 comments:

  1. I was five when this storm hit and I remember it vaguely. All I remember is I could walk off our deck and the snow was right below my feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was the worst snow storm I could remember as a kid... We were out of class for weeks!

    ReplyDelete