Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Weather Apps

As suggested, I downloaded several apps and played with them to see what they have to offer. Here are my thoughts.

NOAA WEATHER RADAR



This one didn't have a lot to play with. It has all of the basic weather information and a radar image that loops to show what has been happening, which I am sure would be more exciting to look at if the weather was actually doing anything.

WEATHER +



It has pretty backgrounds and you can unlock more by watching very short advertisements. Other than the pretty backgrounds, I don't have anything positive to say. It said the temperature in Barboursville was 0 degrees while I was playing with it.

THE WEATHER CHANNEL



This is an app that I have on my phone but I don't think I knew how much it has to offer. There are the normal forecast features but also weather stories, videos, and even a health section that shows allergy and flu statistics and data.

WUNDERMAP



This is my favorite by far. I can see it being very useful when I teach this unit. It has about a dozen overlays you can apply to the map. I recommend checking this one out!

WUNDERSTATION



As you can see in the name, this one is from the same makers as the previous app I mentioned. It has local weather station data. I pulled up the three closest to me and there is a wealth of data collected to look at. Once again, I definitely recommend this one. Once we have our own weather stations at each school, the data could be added, I would think.

4 comments:

  1. Weather Apps
    NOAA Weather Radar
    This app gives a user an updated weather radar of their location. This application also offers the weather forecast for the week. This app is user friendly and self-explanatory but doesn’t really offer any other features other than radar.
    Accu Weather
    This app gives the user actuate temperature and weather in two hour increments. It also offers humidity, UV rays, wind speed, wind gusts, cloud cover, and dew point. This applications seems multiple dimensional.
    Wunderground
    This application offers very similar features that are offered on the Accu Weather app. This app offers graphs that depict the temperature throughout the day. Some of the features of this app that make it unique are it offers total rain accumulation, humidity, visibility, and pressure.
    Myradar
    This application offers very similar features the other apps offer such as temperature, forecast, and humidity. However this application offers different layers that show the radar in classic, HD, and temperature map. These are unique feature that are not offered on the other apps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As would be expected, my favorites are also the wunder apps. (You know since I've become more like you.) I am excited to be able to add all of our weather stations on my wunderstation app!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like these apps. Its insane how many are out there! However, the basic weather.com app is the most useful looking for a daily forecast for XC practices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are a ton of weather apps out there. It seems that the NOAA apps are some of the most detailed apps that I've examined. The low cost of the app may be worth it for individual use. But it would make incorporating into a classroom, difficult.

    ReplyDelete