Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Week 4 Blog Post-

There are moments in time that you know exactly where you were and you doing. One event that you may remember where you were and what you were doing is when the challenger exploded on national television.  I have always learned the challenger exploded due to a malfunction on the ship. The o-ring, which is on the shuttles right side rocket booster and it never lifted off and caused the whole shuttle to break down. Hydrogen was coming from the tank and liquid oxygen from the fuel tank. Thus causing the shuttle to break apart and appear to explode.

What does this have to do with weather? It was a cold day in Florida at 50 degrees. The cold temperatures caused the o-ring to fail and the process to begin. NASA released a statement saying they should have not launched in such cold temperatures.




1 comment:

  1. I did not know this. You would think that I would. But I didn't. You teach me so many things Stephen Zeigler!

    ReplyDelete